Sunday, May 19, 2013

Mourinho: Will He Stay Or Will He Go?


I clenched my fists and cried in agony as I watched the last few minutes of the Copa del Rey. Was this really happening? I knew once Ronaldo received his red card, all hope was gone. The final whistle eventually blew and Atlético Madrid were crowned the new Copa del Rey title holders. I was not happy. We were so close, yet so far.

Looking back, I was not mad that Atlético had won. This was an enormous accomplishment for them and I am proud of them. I was upset at the fact that Real Madrid had so much to prove this season, and due to unfavorable circumstances, Real Madrid were incapable of attaining at least one trophy. The Copa del Rey trophy was our last hope and it had slipped right through our fingers.

It’s not even about the trophies (okay, maybe a little but not completely). I came into this season thinking that this will be Real Madrid’s year. Having strong players and a strong-minded manager, like Mourinho, meant that we would go into this season with a bang. I was also confident Real Madrid were going to win the Champions League. With so much high expectations, Real Madrid ultimately fell short.

Should “The Special One” stay or go?

The big question right now is whether Mourinho will stay or choose to leave. Personally, I think he will stay for one more season at Madrid. Many people speculate that Mourinho will make a return to England and manage Chelsea. As a Chelsea supporter, I am conflicted with this report. I would love to see Mourinho come back to Stamford Bridge and work his magic on the new players, however, my gut feeling tells me otherwise.

Mourinho is someone who departs a club on a high note. Right after Real Madrid’s loss to Atlético, Mourinho stated in his press conference “this was the worst season of [his] career.” Not to discredit his two previous seasons that were successful, but I do not think that it is in his best interest to leave a club in this kind of state. Staying for one more season could allow Mourinho to undo some damage to the club. He is contracted to stay for three more years at the club (although he can make negotiations with the president if he wishes to leave).

At the moment, there are reports that state Carlo Ancelotti will not return to PSG next season. This only strengthens the “Carlo to Real Madrid” rumors since the club has shown some interest in Ancelotti. If this is true then there is a very good chance Mourinho will leave Real Madrid and return to Chelsea. Nothing is for certain right now, but whichever club Mourinho decides to manage I wish him the best of luck.

Written by: Laxmi Patel

Follow me on twitter: @OfficialLaxmi

image via Real Madrid


0 comments:

Post a Comment