Sunday, March 31, 2013

Chelsea FC: Have They Progressed?

Months ago, (back when I had an ask.fm) someone had asked me, “what do you think Chelsea could improve on tactically speaking?”. This was my response:

Tactically, there are a couple of things Chelsea can improve on but I‘ll only name a few (I already know this is going to be a long response). Let’s start with defense. Since Terry has been injured, this has weakened the back-line. Also, David has been moved up to mid-field (where he should be) so that has also affected defense. (Now I’m not saying defense is horrible at the moment, but you’re asking me how we can improve the team as a whole). We have great defenders right now that are very good tactically (Cole, Ivanovic, Cahill, and Azpilicueta), but we are missing a leader (like Terry) to really strengthen it (i.e. those times where defense can look very sloppy). You might argue that players like Cech, Lampard, and Luiz act as leaders on the pitch (and I agree) but I think Terry makes a bigger impact. Just his presence on the pitch can boost the players’ morale. As you can see there’s not much wrong with defense. Bottom line: Bring Terry back ASAP.
Moving on to mid-field. mid-field is pretty much solid. With mid-fielders like David Luiz, Ramires, Lampard, Mikel, Oscar, Hazard, Mata, and Marin I don’t have many complaints. I do like how mid-fielders get rotated around, however, I feel that certain players should be put as top priority. For example, Juan Mata paired with either Hazard or Oscar should always be a default in the starting XI (after the QPR match, I think most of you will agree with me).
Let’s talk about our Strikers. Torres. He isn’t the most consistent player on Chelsea. I’ve said this on many occasions that I believe Torres is a good player and he has made many goals this season but his poor execution is due to his lack of confidence. As a striker you have to acts as a leader because everyone is counting on you. You ultimately have the responsibly to be a leader on the other end of the pitch, boost your players’ morale, and have a superb finishing when it comes to making goals. Whether Torres has those qualities is up to you. Someone that does have all of those qualities is former CFC player Drogba. This man oozed leadership qualities (plus his finishing wasn’t too bad either!). The point I'm trying to make is that Torres has to become more of a leader on the pitch to make a greater impact on the team. No one can help him regain his confidence but himself. If that doesn’t work, (I can’t believe I’m saying this) Chelsea should send him to another club (i.e. Athletico Madrid) so he can become the player he once was. If he can’t improve at Chelsea maybe he can improve somewhere else? I can talk about this for hours so I’m just going to stop myself here. We do have Demba Ba now (and I can’t say much about him yet since he has only had his debut) so I think this will strengthen our attacking. In my opinion, Chelsea should start investing in long-term strikers (due to the lack of them). These players should not only be “great players” but they should have experience and a good leadership mentality. With that being said, these kind of players don’t necessarily have to be expensive. It’s not always about the value, it’s about a player’s presence on the pitch.
Overall message: All of the players are great physically. What leads to Chelsea’s downfall is their moral/mental state. If we bring back strong leaders in the front and back line, Chelsea would be unstoppable.

Now that the season is close to an end, I want to know what your thoughts are. Has Chelsea improved as a whole? Does mid-field still need that extra push? Leave your comments down below!

***I wanted to share this post first because I will eventually make another one to discuss their overall performance throughout this season.

Written by: Laxmi Patel

Make sure to follow me on twitter: @OfficialLaxmi

0 comments:

Post a Comment